Create a domain name
Domain Name System (DNS) is a mechanism which allows searching for a domain name by its IP address and vice versa, as well as other information that resource records contain. For more information please refer to the article Domain resource record. A domain name is a set of symbols which is used to identify an IP address.
ISPmanager Lite can be used as the master DNS-server.
Perform the following steps to create a domain name:
- Navigate to Domains → Domain names → Add.
- When you are logged in as the administrator, you can enable the option Administrators are owners to hide this newly created domain name for users or select its Owner.
- Enter a Domain name.
- Enter the IP-address corresponding to the domain name. They are specified in the A-records of the domain zone.
- Enter the Name servers that will manage the domain zone. They are specified in the NS-records of the domain zone.
- If you want a WWW-domain to be created for this domain, enter the Local IP addresses where the web servers accept requests to the domain's web pages and check the box Create WWW-domain. WWW-domains allows users to open web pages in browsers. For more information please refer to the article How to create a WWW-domain.
- If you want to create mailboxes on your domain, check the box Create a mail domain.
- Click Ok.
ISPmanager checks that the domain name doesn't contain the restricted names listed in Domains → Reserved names. If a record is created for a domain name from that list, the domain name won't be created.
NoteIf a domain name in ISPmanager belongs to a certain user, only the administrator can create its subdomain for another owner.